Wednesday, March 13, 2013

H/W 3/14




When trying a new search, I decided to go for a government data search because I could look up what the government ideas are on censorship and see if they are not as alert on the topic as they use to be. I’ve tried looking for statistics to see if there was any effect on children that watch a certain television show or movie with different levels of censorship but I was out of luck. I used the website http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/oip/ and found out about some of the laws they have on censorship. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is in charge of enforcing the laws on censorship so I decided to go further into my research and see what I could find on them. I found a link on this page of statistics they took on complaints they have received for having too much violence and I was shocked to see how much the number of complaints has increased from 1993 to 2000. The graph in the link says it all http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/oip/ComplStatChart.pdf. Even though this was from 2000, I know for a fact that the numbers must have increased because as a child growing up in the 90’s, I was not too aware of all the violence and profanity on television. Taking a government side to my research project has defiantly given me  boost on giving information to my research project.

2 comments:

  1. Presentation Feedback:
    Out of all of the topics in the class, yours is one of the most appealing to me. I agree that censorship has changed dramatically for TV. When we were kids Disney channel showed mostly cartoons, but recently Hanna Montana has boyfriends, comes close to but doesn’t sware and makes out with boys. I have a younger sister as well and I too have noticed the dramatic change in the things they pick up form television. Finding statistics for your topic may be hard; I suggest using government laws from then and now. You could compare the lenience for language, nudity and topic selection. All networks must follow laws in order to stay on TV and to avoid law suites. I look forward to seeing your final research data on censorship today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your presentation as censorship is a huge issue in the media. After the superbowl event with Janet Jackson, the scrutiny of the FCC has been hit hard over fines on language and imagery are getting more harsh than ever before. Media conglomerates dealing with the pressures of gaining audiences and getting more views, it is causing the media to use more edgy tactics.

    Your presentation was well put together. I noticed that you were slightly nervous presenting it, as i was as well; but overall think you did a great job. All of the bases were covered from the sources to the clear projection of your topic.

    Great Job...!

    ReplyDelete