Monday, March 4, 2013

HW 3/5


The first tool I tried was Delicious.com. It was somewhat useful for finding my topic with articles on some banned children’s cartoons and such but not very specific on my research topic. I do believe that this site is useful for everyday life and interest because this site has a lot of content that use could use in everyday life. The next site I used was Stumbleupon.com. It seemed a little more vague to me when trying to find stuff on my research topic but there was still content there I can use for it. This is defiantly a site you can use for everyday life. The last site I looked at was Twitter. I never used Twitter in the past because it seems so pointless to me, however I did join last summer, and I have not been on it since. I did find some interesting searches I can use for my topic. Unlike me, people seem to use this site in their everyday lives. I use social media to stay in the loop of everyday life. I have always used Facebook as a social media but I am now using Reddit because there are more interesting things on it. I have also actually learned a few things from Reddit that I can apply to everyday life.

1 comment:

  1. Erin,

    You've made some good points about the value of these networks for research vs. everyday interest and also made some useful comparisons. Stumbleupon is a good example of what many call a "discovery engine," and you're absolutely right that it is more vague. It's more difficult to narrow in on a precise topic but the serendipity of what you find can sometimes be even more enjoyable. Of course, this makes it less useful for more serious purposes. In contrast, Reddit allows you to more narrowly target a subject area.

    ReplyDelete